[WriteLog] Dunestar, WL, Top Ten, Direct I-O, OMG!

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Thu Oct 5 20:37:22 EDT 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Al Zelna wrote:

 > ICE was my first choice, and ironically, not for these lessons I have
 > learned.  ICE is not currently producing the 419's.  I contacted them,
 > R&L, and Array Solutions too.  You have GOLD baby!  There seems to be a
 > problem obtaining the extruded aluminum cases from their supplier.
 >
 > When I learned that information, I figured I would go with single-band
 > filters and just swap them out.  Nice thought, except they are at least
 > four months behind on single-band production.

I also lucked out getting my 419's last year.

FYI, when Mike, K9AJ and I operated from IOTA NA-178 (The Farallon Islands)
last February,  Mike brought along his single-band ICE filters (much
smaller & lighter than hauling my 419's out there with all the other stuff
via Helicopter).  They worked GREAT.  We had both rigs set up only a few
feet from each other, and we were in the center of the RF fields of both
antennas which were just a few feet away from the tiny wooden Carpenter
Shop building that was our Island "shack".  We had NO Ground Connections
for the rigs.  Amazingly, we could be on-air at the same time with no
problems.  I think one of the bands had a bit of a spur, but overall, the
filters were terrific.

Regarding my previous post about the Kenwood KRC2 bandpass filters, yet
another reason I found them ideal was because of the two different types of
12v output to drive other stuff.  I'm not a techie...one  was 12v "sinking"
and the other was...umh, mental block at the moment ;-)  Why was this
important?

Because the ICE 419's and the Array Solutions 6PAK required DIFFERENT 12v
driver connectivity.  And the fact the KRC2's just plugged into my Kenwood
serial ports was like a "Marriage Made In Heaven" (even though I am
personally still "in between wives" :-)

FWIW & 73...

Rick, K6VVA

FWIW & 73...