[WriteLog] Rig interface advice

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Fri Dec 7 16:24:32 EST 2007

> I use the US Interface Navigator with a Dell XPS-410 Vista
> computer, which like your laptop, has no COM or LPT ports.
> In fact, Vista does not support either of those port types.

Completely inaccurate.  Vista happily supports BOTH standard
serial and LPT ports.  My Vista test/support system has three
serial ports (one on the motherboard and two on a PCI-e card)
and two LPT ports (one on the motherboard and one on the PCI-e
card).

WriteLog works just fine with all the serial ports (motherboard
or expansion board).  WriteLog does not like the LPT ports due
to the lack of direct hardware access (just like Windows 2000
and XP) and I have not had time to try to make one of the two
"LPT Support" programs (Direct IO or UserPort) work with Vista.

In any case, I strongly recommend XP for anyone getting a new
computer - it is available from all of the major vendors if
you press the issue - as Vista has made many other changes
("enhancements") like User Account Control and a new audio
sub-system that cause a lot of problems for older amateur
software - including most of the digital mode software.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W4TV
       microHAM America
       http://www.microHAM-USA.com