[WriteLog] Icom 706 voice keyer

Gary Senesac AL9A al9a at pobox.mtaonline.net
Tue Jun 5 03:21:02 EDT 2007

Define "simple"!  Interfacing any rig to a computer is always a bit of a
challenge.  Start with your IC-706 owners manual pages that show the rear
panel connections.  The first challenge is the ACC accessory socket.  On the
706 it is a 13 pin DIN connector.  I opted to purchase Icom's grossly
overpriced optional OPC-599 ACC conversion cable that splits the 13 pins out
to two 7 pin DIN connectors called ACC1 and ACC2.  Much easier to find
matching 7 pin DINs than a 13 pin one.  Then check out the various pin outs
for the interface hook up.  My IC-706MKII book shows pin 3 for HSEND
(HF/50MHz) and pin 7 for VSEND (144 MHz) on the 13 pin ACC connector.  If
you use the OPC-599 these pins are 3 and 6 respectfully on the ACC2
connector.

I connect my laptop's built in serial port to a Rigblaster plus, which
handles keying the rig.  There is also a  connection to a CT-17 level
converter (converts RS-232 serial to TTL) between the computer and the rig
for rig control.  In my case I use a PCMCIA dual serial slot card to provide
two more serial ports, one of which is used for the rig control connection.
There are cheaper level converters than the IC CT-17 on the market, so you
may have to research this a bit if you're trying to hold down the cost.

If you have a newer laptop it may not even have a serial port, but only USB
ports.  In this case you need some kind of USB to serial converter.  There
are several on the market.  Check the Writelog reflector archives for pros
and cons of various models.  Don't worry about sending voice wav files until
you've got all the interface bugs resolved.  When you can key the rig
manually with a foot switch or PTT on a mike and get rig control working for
band changes, frequency readout for the band map, split, etc., you are ready
to tackle recording wav file messages for the F keys and getting the
computer to key the rig and send the audio file.  It's definitely a learning
experience!  Good luck!

Gary AL9A