[WriteLog] Writelog 10.62 TCP/IP Networking

J. Edward (Ed) Muns w0yk at msn.com
Tue Mar 6 20:01:24 EST 2007

I experienced this same thing during WPX RTTY and all through the preceding
week of testing, with 10.62h.  In Round-Up, I used 10.62g and the problem
was less severe, i.e., occurred less frequently.  In my case, I am using
three identical laptops, all with Windows XP, SP2 and all with the latest
Windows updates.  The three are networked together using TCP/IP, with the
third computer as a spare, only recording the log.

In my experience, it seemed that the disconnect happened more often when
there was no logging taking place or other explicit network activity going
on.  After a network disconnect/reconnect within WriteLog, the problem would
not occur until about an hour later if it occurred at all.  But, it almost
always occurred if the network was idle.  Many times, if there was logging
going on at both computers, the time-to-disconnect was delayed.

One well-known problem with Windows TCP/IP networking is that the computer
browser (NOT the Internet browser) that scans the network for connected
computers, often will not list all the computers on the network even though
they are all accessible when addressed by another computer on the network.
This is disconcerting but doesn't keep the network from working.  I don't
know if this is related to this problem we're seeing with WriteLog.

I have not tried NetDDE to see if that works better.  I suppose that is the
next step.  However, I will note that I had none of these problems in NAQP
RTTY using 10.62h on old (identical) tower computers also running Windows
XP, SP2.

73,
Ed - W0YK