[WriteLog] Updates

Bruce Ferry bruce at ak8b.us
Sun May 13 15:13:59 EDT 2007

I've been watching this thread for a while and figured it was time to
add my two cents.

I used TR before Writelog and switched because TR wasn't working
correctly under WIN98. I tried everything and even made suggestions
about how to address my specific problem without satisfaction.

Writelog certainly solved the problems and continues to work for me just
fine in a Windows XP environment, except for networking issues which
still seem to hang around. There are workarounds and that's OK as the
only thing I really use networking for is for backup purposes.

I don't care about SO2R or CW keying (right now anyway) and solutions
for problems with those things have ZERO value to me. Support for new
contest modules is also pretty useless to me. How about a generalized
contest module that we could configure ourselves (like TR) instead of
this contest specific stuff? I don't see enough value for the $30 per
year to keep renewing it. Over a 5 year period I would have close to
$200 in it with no end in sight.

I tried N1MM a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed at the time but
it looks like time to try again - it might be sufficient for the type of
contesting I do.

Then again, the current Writelog version I have may also be sufficient.
I'm probably going to just continue to use the latest version I have
(10.62) and hope that there are no serious problems.

The business model here is worse than Microsoft's - at least when they
get done updating a software product the bugs are pretty much worked out
and you usually do not have to upgrade to a new version (for a fee) to
solve bugs.