[WriteLog] RF keying rig

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 16:01:09 EDT 2008

I had this problem as well in a shack some years ago that had a fair amount
of RF floating around in it.  Actually pushing F1 (CQ) then holding my
finger on but not pushing the button again would result in continuous CQing.
Moving my hands away made it stop.  I was enough of an antenna to trigger
the F1 key - or any other key.

I opened the keyboard up and there was a metal plate across the entire
bottom - it was there I think to add some rigidity.  It was not tied to
anything electrically.  I ran a wire from that plate to ground on the little
circuit board within the keyboard and the problem disappeared.

No doubt, not every keyboard will have a handy metal plate.  You may be able
to open up your keyboard however and glue some aluminum or copper foil to
the inside-underside and tie it to ground and have the same good luck I did.
Then again - maybe not!

Best 73,
 Hal N4GG