[WriteLog] Troubling info

Dave Wilson n4dw at chartertn.net
Thu Jul 3 00:15:37 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I've been reading this thread with interest.

I was a devoted WriteLog user until I went two radio.  The inability to
switch CW from one radio to the other without some external switching
device sent me looking for a better widget.

There was N1MM just waiting for almost my every need.  N1MM has so many
bells and whistles I doubt the average Joe will ever learn them all and
I'm in that boat.

I familiarized myself in a few contests mainly S&P, then hit SS heavy
only to run into the killer.  Once you start N1MM sending a string, be
it CQ or an exchange, the escape key will not break the string.  And, if
you are sending slow your attempt to break the string times out and you
are really in a fix.  Be ready to ask for a fill or a callsign repeat
because by the time you get back to the entry window the other guy will
be all done.  Attempts to get someone's attention for a repair went to
the wind.  I see other people are now questioning the same problem and
getting the same.  I have determined that the escape key works IF you
hit it in time to interrupt the very first character of the string.  If
you wait till the space between the first two characters nothing
happens.  Try reaching the escape key before the first character is
finished at 30 wpm.

If I were made aware that WriteLog was capable of SO2R without an
outboard switching box, add on keyer or other fiddlesticks, I'd upgrade
& be right back to using it.

Presently I'm using two USB to comm adapters to the radios, also bring
the cw keying in the cable from each comm port, drop them out at the
radio to a comm port interface circuit to the radio key input.  Radios
are Omni VI.  I have a paddle connected to each radio's keyer.  That's
all I need.

Don't recall having any other problems with WriteLog other than an
occasional missing contest setup.

73,
Dave
N4DW