[WriteLog] Troubling info

hank k8dd hank.kohl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 12:56:40 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry at rgv.rr.com>
To: <writelog at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 9:28 AM
Subject: [WriteLog] Troubling info

> We got an interesting e-mail from RX9TX last night that listed the various
> brands of contesting software and their relative use in the Russian
> contest.

I thought that was an interesting analysis too.  I'd like to see the same
for
ARRL DX, CQ WW/WPX and SweepStakes!

> Is the problem that they have better service,

I tried N1MM and, yes they do have excellent response to feature requests.
Switched back and forth between WL and MM ---- I really like the 'feel' of
WL.

> does the software have more or
> better bells and whistles,

As far as N1MM - I didn't think so..

>is the software more user friendly.

As far as N1MM - I didn't think so.

>What do they
> have that we don't?

Well, free always wins a lot of hams - free doesn't have to be better to
most
hams.   And $30 a year is virtually free .... You can afford a multi
thousand
dollar radio(s), tower(s), screaming fast logging PC with broadband access
and
you can't afford $30 a year for a really good logging program?

I haven't tried WinTest because it doesn't support the QSO parties and
some of the other contests that WL does.    I tried TRlog a couple of years
ago
and didn't want to deal with the learning curve.  And I loved CT & CTWin,
but
it is unsupported now - or virtually unsupported anyhow.

So there's my 2 cents.   Now if WriteLog would support WinkeyUSB I'd really
be happy!

73    Hank    K8DD