[WriteLog] Voice keyer delay

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Sun Mar 2 18:23:50 EST 2008

Hi Don,

No real major problems under Vista, just some new stuff to get used to!  Be
sure to create an administrator account for installing.  I also run all my
ham related stuff as the administrator.  Once installed you'll need to find
the writelog.ini file that is really used by WL.  Turns out there are two
ini files.  The one at C:\Windows is like a dummy file and is never updated
by WL.  The actual ini file will end up at

C:\Users\W9NGA\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows\writelog.ini

The AppData folder is a hidden folder, so you should tell Vista to display
hidden files and folders to make it easier to find.  The changes made by the
WL program are stored by Vista in this writelog.ini file, not the C:\Windows
one.  As noted above, you will need administrator permission to edit the ini
file yourself.

If you use Sub-bands in the Band Map the WL Sub-band utility will create the
files, but again it gets stored in the VirtualStore path at

C:\Users\W9NGA\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\WriteLog

This same path is used by Vista to store updates to all the .dta files used
by Super Check Partial, as well as the wl_cty.dat file.  It took me a while
to figure this out due to a stupid mistake I made when installing WL.  Make
sure you do a FULL install of the program first, then update to the latest
version from there.  I didn't do that and had many problems with things not
working right until I did an uninstall and then a reinstall of the FULL
version.

Vista also stores other WL files in weird places.  I ended up with three
folders under C:\Users\AL9A\Documents\WriteLog - AudioRecording, WaveFiles
and Contest.  AudioRecording is where the files from recording a contest are
placed.  WaveFiles contain various audio wav files for different contests.
Contest contains folders for different contests, SSB, CW, etc., and
different year folders.  Much of this came from file transfers from my old
machine, but under that machine I had all this stuff under C:\Program
Files\ham.  When it came over the Belkin file transfer utility I used and
Vista put it else where and I had to go looking to find them!

Also, since my new machine has no serial ports, only USB ports, I had to
purchase a USB to Serial adaptor.  I purchased a two port adaptor and use
one port for rig control, the other one for PTT and CW keying.  Haven't
gotten around to trying MMTTY and FSK for RTTY yet.  It was suggested by
others on the reflector that MMTTY be installed in the C:\ root directory,
instead of C:\Program Files due to the Vista VirtualStore thing.  So far, it
all works!

73,
Gary AL9A