[WriteLog] ft1000mp frquency read out

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Tue May 20 23:53:21 EDT 2008

Bob, The "good" news on loss of CAT operation in a Yaesu MP series radio
is its not that hard to fix.  I lost it in one of my MPs in a lightening
strike, and a month later I lost in my other MP in a second storm.  BTW,
both times the other end - the computer end of the CAT connection was
also blown.  I had to replace the motherboard in my logging computer
both times.

What is almost certainly blown in your MP is the actual CAT serial
interface chip.  It is shown on the schematic.  You can order the part
from Yaesu - they will charge you about $20 (what I did the first time).
I then found the same part in the Digikey catalog for $1.47 - which is
where I bought my second one.
It is surface mount and it is very easy to get to.  You can replace it
by removing the bottom cover and installing a new chip.  Its right there
- you do not have to remove any circuit boards.  You do have to know how
to unsolder a 14 pin SMD chip however and solder in a new one - which is
not a task for beginners.  It's too bad they didn't put it in a socket -
as the thing makes a great fuse.

I tried removing my first one with a small iron and solder wick and made
a huge mess of things.  I started lifting circuit lands off the board
and backed off and took it to an expert who charged me $100 to replace
the chip.  BUT, I watched how he did it and did the second one myself in
10 minutes with no trouble at all.  There is a special U-shaped
soldering tip that is usually used for this - it fits over the IC and
heats all the pins at the same time - but that's not what this fellow
did.

Secret to success:  He used two small irons.  He ran a bunch of extra
solder down both sides of the part and held the two irons on the pins -
one on each side.  This way he was able to have the solder on all 14
pins liquid at the same time.  If you just pull the irons up at that
point the part will usually come with the irons.  If not, you may need a
third hand with a set of tweezers.  After the old IC is out, solder wick
up all the solder, put the new part down, and carefully solder each pin.
10 minutes and $1.47 later I was back in business.  BUT - I've been
soldering for 45 years and have small irons.  If you don't feel
comfortable - take it to anyone who can do an SMD device - doesn't have
to be a "radio repairman."

73
Hal
N4GG