[WriteLog] Writelog LPT port on XP and Vista

Jim Sullivan jims at psws.com
Sat Aug 8 22:14:42 PDT 2009

I recently ugreaded my contest computers to XP.
I use WL with an SO2R configuration. I need the LPT port to control my
hardware.

I have been using Direct-IO under WIN2000, in the past.
I am now using Intel manufactured mother boards.
The DirectIO lpt solution was no longer worked on XP.

I solved the problem with a free driver called PortTalk
An explanation of the driver can be found at:
http://www.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm
To download: Click on the "Version 2.2" link near the bottom of the page in
the "Downloading the Source, Drivers and Usermode Programs"

You can get the zipped download file also at :
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/PortTalk-Download-101383.html
Click on the blue "External mirror 1" link.
Save the zip file to your disk.

Copy the following 3 files from the zipped file to your WL install
directory:
 AllowIo.exe
 porttalk.reg
 porttalk.sys

Next you need to find the PC IO address of your installed LPT card.
Go to the control panel and click on the System Icon.
Select the "Hardware" tab followed by the "Device Manager" button.
The next step depends upon your LPT card driver.
Some cards have their own section category and some cards use the "Ports(
COM & LPT)" section.
Click on the "+" sign of your lpt section category or the Ports( COM & LPT)
section.
My card's section name is "MultiPort Serial Adapters".
Find a sub-section with an LPT
Expand your LPT? sub-section
Click on the "Resources" tab.
The first IO range indicated, is usually the IO address of your card.
Mine is marked 0x10A8- 0x10af. So 0x10A8 is my base IO address

Next you need to edit your writelog.ini file(in Windows directory) and add
or change the LPT map.
Since I use LPT1 and my IO address is 0x10a8 I added the following:
LPT1=0x10a8
This LPT1 mapping is only symbolic. It has nothing to do with the OS mapping
of your LPT card.

Finally to make the PorTalk driver work with WL you need to modify your WL
launch Icon.
Right click on the Icon and select properties.
Edit the target window to look like the following:
C:\Radio\Writelog\Programs\AllowIo.exe
C:\Radio\Writelog\Programs\WriteL32.exe  0x10A8

You need to change the "C:\Radio\Writelog\Programs" path to you own install
WL path.
Be sure to change both path instances. Also change the 0x10a8 to your LPT IO
address.

Launch WL and you should see the LPT1 radio button become active in the WL
setup-> ports dialog.
I have not tested PortTalk on Vista but it should work.

Jim W7EJ,CN2R