[WriteLog] CW keying of rig - help, please?

Ray Day rayday at cox.net
Fri Aug 14 10:05:30 PDT 2009

Hi guys, Ray N6HE here....

I'm a new WL user, still setting things up. Rig is a Ten-Tec Omni VII
(happy me!) and computer is a fairly new Windows box running XP-Pro, Svc
Pack 3. WL ver is 10.72E. Rig control is via COM1 and things are working
between rig and computer for rig freq showing up in WL, WL setting rig freq
whwn I want it to, etc. I've reviewed a lot of past posts and can't find a
solution to my problem. So here I am...

The problem is that trying to send CW from/through WL doesn't key the rig.
In WL dropdown menu item "Radio ==> Tune" doesn't either (should it?). PTT
when trying to send CW does, when I ask it to send PTT to rig during the CW
I want to send.

In the setup/ports menu I use:
1) com1
2) cw keyer type "pc generates"
3) cw ptt = none (QSK) [BTW, when I do set cw ptt = "command rig on com
port," the rig keys fine for the duration of the key signal, but pushing a
cw message button, while it shows characters in the CW Window, does not key
the rig with CW]  Hmmm.... the characters in the cw window just sit there
after I push a Function/message button (don't scroll to the left as they
are sent, as with all other cw buffers I've seen.
4) "All mode PTT on CW RTC port" is unchecked
5) Rig type for com1 set as Omni VII

So how come WL "CWPTT" keys the rig and WL doesn't key the rig when sending
from the keyboard/using canned cw messages? been at it for about 8-10 hours
so far...

Any help for The Newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Ray N6HE

                 Ray and Donna Day
rayday at cox.net                          donnaday at cox.net