[WriteLog] No Rig

artw4aa at bellsouth.net artw4aa at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 21 21:20:31 EST 2009

After nearly 10 years, I retired my clunky old W/98/COM pc.
In its place, I am trying to get WL 10.69D working on a new
Lenovo A61e pc that has no COM or LPT ports.

I tried two different, brand new USB-to-RS232 adapters, an
MCT U232-P9 and a Belkin F5U409, for the connection between
the pc and the "W5XD MK1100" keyer.  I tried each one on a
couple of different ports on the Setup "Ports" screen, but
never could get that link working.  I ALWAYS get "No Rig" in
the little box to the left of the Entry window, and I am
unable to set the frequency or band from that box.

If it makes any difference, both adapters have three
indicators -- "Link," "TX," and "RX."  I have seen activity
on the Link and TX indicators, but never on the RX
indicator.

The power supply and all other cables are from my original
W/98/COM setup.  I've checked for bent pins and loose
connections, but everything looks fine.  It logs OK and
sends manual and canned CW OK.  What could I be missing for
rig control?  Guess I'll have to scratch any participation
in the ARRL DX CW contest.

Thanks, Art/W4AA