[WriteLog] WL & IC-706 setup for Field Day

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Sat Jun 20 17:25:17 PDT 2009

Spent the better part of a frustrating afternoon setting up a Field Day
station in my RV.  Rig is an IC-706MKII and I'm using a new net book
computer, the ASUS 1000HA.  WL installed ok and I think I have everything
configured correctly, but Murphy spent the afternoon looking over my
shoulder.

The interface is a USB to 2 port serial adaptor, which WinXP has setup as
Comm3 and Comm4.  Comm3 goes to a Rigblaster Plus, Comm4 to the radio via a
CT-17 Level Converter.  I'm planning on running a CW station and have
receive working ok through the Rittyrite CW decoder.  Problem is I can't get
the radio and laptop to communicate.  The band map has no idea what band or
mode is set on the the radio.  I've checked and rechecked all the wiring
hookups and can find nothing amiss.  I've used the IC-706MKII radio before
with WL on my main desk station with a different computer when my main radio
was in the repair shop a couple of years ago, with virtually the same
interface setup, so I know it works.

I'm sure it's a configuration issue somewhere.  Just as I was throwing in
the towel for the day I thought I heard Murphy whispering in my ear.  I
haven't used the 706 for sometime and when I reviewed the operator manual I
discovered that the hex address in the radio was different than what the
book default value is.  Without thinking I reset the radio to the default.
Now, I'm thinking that was the bullet I put squarely into my foot!  The list
of radios in the WL Ports section shows IC-706, not IC-706MKII or
IC-706MKIIG.  So now me thinks that a couple of years ago I changed the hex
address to what the original IC-706 hex code is as that is probably what the
WL rig interface is programmed with.  Problem is I don't remember what the
hex setting was!  Anyone know what the hex address code is for the original
IC-706?  I suspect that if I change that setting in the radio the problem
will be resolved.  HELP!!!

73,
Gary AL9A