[WriteLog] Multiple sound cards and muting the mic.

Bruce King bruce at regis-consulting.com
Mon Oct 26 07:31:04 PDT 2009

Hi,

Some time back I wrestled with trying to get Yahoo IM to work with a USB
soundcard/headset. I was never able to get it to work so I gave up. But,
in the process I apparently caused the soundcard numbering scheme to get
messed up. I have an onboard soundcard that I use for "normal" stuff,
and PCI based soundcard that I use for Writelog and other ham software.
I am running Vista Ultimate. The symptom is that the mic is no longer
being muted by Writelog when a SSB message is being driven out by a F
key. Not a big deal, except that I suspect that it isn't muted in PSK
either, and I don't need to embarrass myself with strange shack noises
in PSK. After the Yahoo IM adventure, I had to change some of the
writelog.ini settings to get Writelog to find the mic. Now when I open
the Sound Board Mixer, the Mic entry is empty.

My question is; Is there an easy way to determine which soundboard has
what number and/or other identifier so I can get writelog.ini and the
Sound board Mixer back in coordination and recover mic muting? Plan B is
to temporarily rename writelog.ini, start writelog and let it create a
new .ini file, then add back the customized setup parts from the current
.ini.  Plan C is uninstall and reinstall Writelog.

Thanks.

Bruce W1CSM