[WriteLog] Rittyrite PSK

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Sat Aug 21 22:55:52 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists at subich.com>
To: <writelog at contesting.com>
Sent: August 20, 2010 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Rittyrite PSK

> Gary,
>
> Is the WriteLog mixer configured for microHAM CODEC output?

Yes, I'm using the new WlogSbControlW6 that came out with V10.77.  All three
entries for 'xmit from PC', 'DVK mic' and 'rec to PC' have microHAM CODEC's
selected.

> Is Writelog (RTTYrite) configured for Stereo Sound Board AFSK?
> Is the radio assigned to the LEFT channel (or Sound Board
> AFSK and only one radio)?

I only have one radio so I use Sound Board AFSK.

> Have you set the IC-7600 for ACC audio input the "data" modes
> (Data 1 Mod, Data 2 Mod, Data 3 Mod) = ACC?

All Data modes are at the Icom defaults.  DATA1 MOD = ACC, DATA2 MOD =
MIC,ACC, DATA3 MOD = MIC.  I use USB-D1 or LSB-D1.  Are you saying that all
data modes should be set to ACC?

> Have you set microHAM Router Audio Switching FSK/DIGITAL to
> Line Input (rear)?

Yes.
> Does microHAM Router properly detect LSB-D1 as "digital" and
> place the black box around the FSK/Digital setting?

NO!  WHOA, I THINK I JUST FOUND THE PROBLEM!

On the Audio tab there is a box labeled,"Voice/Digital settings selector on
USB/LSB/FM modes".  My box is set to "Use VOICE settings".  When I change
the selection to "Use DIGITAL settings" the two black boxes change positons.
One box is now around "FSK/DIGITAL Line input (rear)" and in the TX Monitor
area the box is now around "DIGITAL" and viola, I am now getting PSK tones
out of the speaker and output from the radio!  If I use the "Select by
frequency" choice the boxes change position based upon the VFO frequency.
Apparently the changes happen according to the Digital Band Map frequency
table.  So apparently the problem is because of the "Use VOICE settings"
choice when in a digital mode, at least for PSK.  It doesn't bother RTTY as
its been that way for a long time.  So now I have to either remember to set
the choice to "Use DIGITAL settings" for PSK or use "Select by frequency"
and make sure the Digital Band Map is to my liking.  Any suggestions on
which way to go?

> Does the 7600 have a separate mic gain setting for digital modes?
> Many of the newer radios do ... often in a menu.

The 7600 has a "Drive Gain" setting in the Level set mode.  Mine is at the
factory default of 50%.  The manual says that, "The drive gain is active for
all modes other than SSB mode with the speech compressor OFF."

73,
Gary AL9A