[WriteLog] Rittyrite PSK

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Aug 22 07:20:39 PDT 2010

> NO!  WHOA, I THINK I JUST FOUND THE PROBLEM!
>
> On the Audio tab there is a box labeled,"Voice/Digital settings
> selector on USB/LSB/FM modes".  My box is set to "Use VOICE
> settings".  When I change the selection to "Use DIGITAL settings" the
> two black boxes change positons. One box is now around "FSK/DIGITAL
> Line input (rear)" and in the TX Monitor area the box is now around
> "DIGITAL" and viola, I am now getting PSK tones out of the speaker
> and output from the radio!

That should not be happening.  What is your rig setting in both
WriteLog and Router (CAT | Set | Radio)?

Router should detect any of the -D modes as digital and automatically
select the digital routing.  For testing, please set Router for the
IC-7800 (change CI-V address in Router to match what the 7600) and
see if it properly follows the mode.

 > If I use the "Select by frequency" choice
 > the boxes change position based upon the VFO frequency. Apparently
 > the changes happen according to the Digital Band Map frequency table.
 > So apparently the problem is because of the "Use VOICE settings"
 > choice when in a digital mode, at least for PSK.

"Select by frequency" has been around for PSK (and AFSK support) for
a very long time.  It is there for rigs like Kenwood, Pre-Pro series
Icom and TenTec rigs that lack separate audio based digital "modes."

 > It doesn't bother RTTY as its been that way for a long time.

RTTY (FSK) is always detected as a digital mode and doesn't use the
audio anyway.

 > So now I have to either remember to set the choice to "Use DIGITAL
 > settings" for PSK or use "Select by frequency" and make sure the
 >  Digital Band Map is to my liking.  Any suggestions on which way
 > to go?

Both have side effects.  You can make separate Router presets for
"normal" and PSK to switch the Voice/Digital setting for PSK.  That
that requires remembering to select a preset when using PSK but
causes the least impact to other operation.  If you use Digital
Band Map, it will get in the way of voice operation if you try to
work split (phone) DX on 40 since Router can't detect when an Icom
rig has been switched to split.

Please check your rig selections.  I will advise the microHAM
programmers to check the IC-7600 support.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV