[WriteLog] Win 7 and Writelog (Additional Thoughts)

Clay Melhorn n9io at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 1 10:21:06 PST 2010

Thank you to Jim VA3HJ and John N1JM for responding so quickly.

This is all good news and a great start.

I know Win 7 is VERY new so this may be very premature in development

but here is yet another question I hope someone knows or has thought about.

If I were to BUILD a new system with say dual core cpu (i.e. newer cpu) or whatever

with PCI slots, add an after market card such as my trusty SIIG brand PCI to 4 port serial card and a SIIG PCI to Parallel card.

I checked on the SIIG web site and sure enough they have had Win 7 drivers available for their cards for some time now working on it as Win 7 was in the development stages.

Am I too far out there ahead of this to hope a program such as UserPort that will work in Win 7 exsists yet so I can use the parallel port for CW keying and the normal SO2R functions that are available in Writelog for my DX Doubler box?

I'm just trying to think ahead to see if the best of both worlds could be a possibility.

I would really prefer to not resort to USB routers if I can keep from it.

If anything this starts the new year off with some new dialog and learning how to deal with

this new animal Win 7...

Incidently I just finished gathering all the parts I need to finish a 19" commercial

rack type computer on a back plane, P4 2.4 ghz motherboard on a card,

2 natural com ports, 4 additional com ports on a SIIG PCI quartet card = 6 total,

new 250 gb WD IDE hard,

2bg low density DDR266 Kingston ram,

ATI Radion 64mb PCI dual monitor video card, (2 19" HD screens)

PCI to multiple USB card,

and a soundblaster Live PCI card,

no more PCI slots available only four, all the rest are ASI 16.

This will be my new comtest machine, the plan is XP Pro but........

I would be VERY tempted to try Win 7 on this machine IF I knew there was a

UserPort type software available for Win 7 (I need that Parallel port for DX Doubler box).

This would be an interesting experiment,

or am I wrong in assuming that a 2.4Ghz P4 with 2gb ram would play well in Win 7?

I know there a many of you on this reflector that have built a machine or two

and likely the thought crossed your mind as well.

Any thoughts, anyone started this type of experimentation yet?

Thanks for the bandwidth and thanks for reading...

73' es HNY !
Clay Melhorn N9IO Bonfield, IL
Webmaster:
KARS - Kankakee Area Radio Society - W9AZ http://www.w9az.com/
ARRL (Central Division) http://www.central.arrl.org/

> From: johnn1jm at gmail.com
> To: writelog at contesting.com
> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 08:19:56 -0700
> Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Win 7 and Writelog
>
> It works great in Win7. If you are thinking of installing add-ons later on
> like the MMTTY plug in, you will save yourself some headaches by installing
> Writelog in c:\writelog(or whatever you want to call the folder) not under
> the default C\program files\ .
>
> HNY
> John N1JM

Hi Clay,

I am running WriteLog on a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. Laptops of
course do not come with serial ports, so you will need USB to serial
adapters. The ones I bought did not come with Win 7 drivers and none
were available from the "manufacturer's" website. I put manufacturer in
quotes because they are really just a relabeller and reseller. I managed
to find Win 7 drivers on another seller's website which installed and
work perfectly.

I guess one word about USB to serial adapters: Most do not support
really low baud rates (45.45 in the case or RTTY), so if you run FSK,
you will either have to find an adapter that does generate characters at
this rate, or use the software generated FSK that is available in WriteLog.

So far I am happy with the combination, but this weekend will be the
real test of the combination.

73, Jim VA3HJ