[WriteLog] Important Information on Installing Party 3rdmodules with Ver 10.77

W. Wright, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Thu Jul 8 05:41:29 PDT 2010

> So what's the best way to go when I install 10.77?  Should I
> uninstall Bernds modules first and then download and install
> them again under the new installer or just copy the INI
> files and paste them to the new location - in ProgramData I
> think???  I'm getting a bit confused.

Yes, it is confusing because we (WriteLog and those with
modules) have provided more than one way to succeed at
getting things to work. So there probably is no "best way",
but there probably is an "easiest way", but it depends on
what state your system is in.

If you have a system setup the way you want it with 10.76,
then just install 10.77. The 10.77 installer recognizes
the various files installed by the modules written by
SM6SRW, DC3HB, and DL1EFD and takes care of those as
10.77 is installed. If that is your list of modules, then
do nothing more than install 10.77.

If you are starting from a "clean" system (with Writelog
and 3rd party modules never installed or uninstalled), then
install 10.77 first, and then install the 3rd party modules
following whatever instructions you are given by that
module developer. In the case of DC3HB, for example,
his instructions for his latest modules are do NOT use
the Legacy Installer Helper in 10.77.

It turns out that using the Legacy Installer Helper when
it should not be used is not a "big deal". It moves some
.ini, .txt, and .rtf files around with telling the
uninstall database. WriteLog will work, but a subsequent
uninstall will fail to find and uninstall the files that
were moved. So you don't end up with a clean system after
an uninstall. But that has been the case anyway--uninstall
won't clean up wl_cty.dat and related files, for example,
because it generally notices they have been touched since
they were installed.

Hope this helps,
Wayne