[WriteLog] UserPara.ini error ...some more!

WS7I ws7ik7tj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:01:39 PDT 2010

Perhaps this might help with XP pro and home.  There is of course a
difference.

How to take ownership of a File or Folder using NTFS in XP Pro:

The owner of a file or folder can change its permissions, thus controlling
who can and can't access it. Remember that once you take ownership, though,
you can't go back without the other user knowing.

Here's how to take ownership of an NTFS object in XP Pro:

Log on as Administrator.
You must first turn off simple file sharing if it's on. To do that, click
Start | My Computer. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, then the View
tab. Go to Advanced Settings and clear the box that says Use Simple File
Sharing (Recommended). Click OK.
Then navigate to the folder you want to own, and right click it. Select
Properties from the context menu.
Click the Security tab, click the Advanced button, and click the Owner tab.
In the Name list under "Change owner to," click Administrators. If you also
want to take over ownership of everything within a folder, check the box
that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.
Click OK.
Remember that this only works on files and folders stored on NTFS
partitions. FAT partitions don't have owners or file level permissions. You
can't turn off simple file sharing in XP Home edition, but you can take
ownership by booting into XP in Safe Mode as Administrator, and then
following steps 3 through 6.

Actually in XPPro the entire Program Files Folder is usually marked Read
Only.  But down in the folders like MMTTY all files may be marked with no
restriction.

WS7I

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 9:46 AM, pcooper <pcooper at guernsey.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Firstly, I too had the same problem with WinXP + SP2.
>
> My MMTTY (the one used exclusively for WL) is in C:\MMTTY, and I've just
> been trying the steps outlined by Joe, and find the same issue as others:
> Namely, that when you "undo" the checkbox for READ ONLY, it reverts back as
> soon as you go to another folder.
>
> So, wanting to try harder, I opened Properties, went to Security, and
> there, I saw that the list of "Permissions for Authenticated Users" showed
> that Write, Full Control and Special Permissions were not checked.
> I clicked on EDIT, and allowed every user listed in the box above to be
> able to Write and have Full Control.
> Now, I only occasionally get the USERPARA.INI error occasionally!
>
> Maybe this is the cure? But why does it happen on XP too?
>
> Oh well, it is only a minor annoyance, as it does not stop MMTTY starting
> up.
>
> 73 all
>
> Phil GU0SUP

Jay WS7I