[WriteLog] RU RTTY contest and Cabrillo file

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Mon Sep 6 16:05:57 PDT 2010

Hi Michael,

Same situation here only with 10.79D.  I tried using the adif2cab conversion
utility by Marek SP7DQR, but it didn't work correctly for this contest.
>From a post on the rttycontesting.com reflector I picked up the following
web address - http://srr.ru/CONTEST/ermak/index.html.  The page is in
Russian, but you can translate it with Google translator.  Click on the left
hand panel where it shows some Cabrillo header lines in English and then
right click.  In the menu box that opens see if you have Google Translate.
If so click it and a new window opens in IE translated into English.  In the
list of contests find "Russian RADIO WW RTTY Contest. Click on that and
another window opens with the Cabrillo file layout specs for this contest
for different modes.  I've pasted a copy of the first entry headers for
single ops at the bottom of this email.

I don't fully understand how to work the Cabrillo format layout.  For
example the sample for single op shows the DX call "UA8AA" starting in colum
35 for 5 positions and Oblast "AB" starting in column 41 for two positions.
But what about calls that have more than 5 characters in the call?  How
should those be handled?  If all calls start in column 35 the longer ones
would intrude into the column(s) for the Oblast/CQ zone entries.  Too
confusing for me to figure out!

So I did a bit of a morph job.  The rules says they prefer Cabrillo files,
but will accept text files.  I had WL export a text file of my contest log.
This is a CSV, coma delimited file.  I then edited the text file with
Notepad and added the Cabrillo header lines with the pertinent information
at the top of the log lines.  I then saved it as "AL9A.txt" and sent it to
the contest email address.  A while later I received a message from the
robot that my log had been received.  I'm sure if this means it was checked
and accepted or just received.  Will have to wait and see if they can figure
it out I guess.  It would help if we had a working Cabrillo output from WL
for this contest.  Hint, hint!

Russian "RADIO" WW RTTY Contest

Location columns of data on the relationship

0000000001111111111222222222233333333334444444444555555555566666666667777777777
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789
**** ***** ** **** ********** ************* *** ****** *** ********** ***
******
QSO: 21091 RY 2004-03-20 1200 599 UA8AA AB ZL3AZZ 599 1932

Examples of report for different categories of participation. Lines that do
not carry
information for judging omitted.

Single operator - All Bands

START-OF-LOG: 3.0
CONTEST: RADIO-WW-RTTY
CALLSIGN: ZL3AZZ
CATEGORY-OPERATOR: SINGLE-OP
CATEGORY-BAND: ALL
CATEGORY-MODE: DIGI
LOCATION:
CLUB: ZLCC
CREATED-BY: Soft v1.0
EMAIL: zlazz at mail.nz
NAME: Smith J F
ADDRESS: 1912 Main st.
ADDRESS: Christchurch 8008
ADDRESS: New Zealand
OPERATORS: ZL3AZZ
SOAPBOX: TNX 73
QSO: 21091 RY 2004-03-20 1200 599 1932 ZL3AZZ UA8AA 599 AB
END-OF-LOG:

73,
Gary AL9A