[WriteLog] Setup Questions

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Sun Apr 24 16:56:28 PDT 2011

Hi Paul,

Welcome to WriteLog.  Yes, there is a way to save different configurations
for your setup, but you have to be a little sneaky about it.  WriteLog
always uses the file called writelog.ini to load in the configuration
information.  Obviously there can only be one file named writelog.ini in a
given directory so here is what I did to work around the problem.

First, I did as you are doing, got my SSB/CW settings configured the way I
needed to match my radio, the WinKey in my Microkeyer II, the location of my
DVK audio files, etc.  When completed to your satisfaction do a Setup/Save
Configuration to write out all the info to the writelog.ini file.  Now exit
WriteLog and navigate to the directory where your writelog.ini file is
located.  This will vary depending on your OS and where you installed
WriteLog.

Once you've found the file make a copy of it in the same directory.  Under
my OS, Vista, it created a file named "Copy of writelog.ini".  Now rename
the original writelog.ini file as writelogcw-ssb.ini.  Rename the "Copy of
writelog.ini" to just writelog.ini.  Now restart WriteLog with a RTTY
contest module and go through the configuration process again, but this time
in Setup identify your second RTTY radio as the one you want to use.  Open
Rittyrite and set the correct Comm port to use, the Mode to 45 baud Baudot
and the TU type.  If you've installed the MMTTY plug-in you will see it
listed in the TU type list.

Check your settings by trying to send some RTTY (into a dummy load) to
verify everything works correctly with the second radio.  When done do
another Setup/Save Configuration.  WriteLog will save this configuration
into the active writelog.ini file again.  Now whenever you want to start a
new contest, depending on the mode, rename one of the ini files to be the
non-used one and rename the other one to be the active file.

In my case I just operated in the SPDX RTTY contest this weekend, so my
current writelog.ini file is the one configured for RTTY.  This file is
named writelog.ini.  If my next contest is either a SSB or CW contest I will
first rename the current writelog.ini to writelogrtty.ini.  Then I will
rename writelogcw-ssb.ini back to writelog.ini.  Now when I start WriteLog
and select a new contest for the SSB or CW mode I will have the correct
configuration info.  In my case I only have one radio going at the moment,
but in your case you will have the correct radio and mode configuration for
which ever type of contest you will be working.

There may be more elegant means of handling the multiple ini files, but this
one is simple and it works for me.  Good luck.

73,
Gary AL9A