[WriteLog] Writelog.ini and Vista.

Ed Muns w0yk at msn.com
Sun Dec 25 21:58:18 PST 2011

The good news is that Vista and Windows 7 store user-changed files in a
"Virtual Store" area rather than directly in system file areas like Program
Files as prior version of Windows did.  This safeguards against messing up
the system files.

The bad news is that most of us have a difficult time navigating to these
new locations:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows\WriteLog\writelog.ini

The really good news is that recent versions of WriteLog have an "Edit
WriteLog.ini" link in the WriteLog program group in your Start Menu.
Therefore, you don't have to know or remember the path to writelog.ini each
time, or browse to it in any Windows version.  You can go directly there
from the WriteLog group in the Start Menu.

Ed - W0YK

Mike, WM5DX, wrote:
> Apparently Vista differs from other Windows systems. I am unable to locate
> the Writelog.ini file to change some Writelog port settings. The path
> shown on K9JY.com comes back with the message "file not found". Likewise
> C:\Windows will only bring up the file "wlini" which does not include port
> settings. Anyone know how to find Writelog.ini in Vista please?
[Ed Muns]