[WriteLog] Dream Shack PC

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 28 16:20:16 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Kent Hufford <khufford at atlanticbb.net> wrote:

> AS much computer as you can afford. Dell's are good.

Check the Dell Outlet: http://www.delloutlet.com

I buy all my Dell's there, and just got a Dell Studio XPS Core-I7
system over the holidays that's working great!

But the most important thing is to have a backup strategy!  Mozy and
Carbonite are both good services for $60/year.  Don't kill yourself
getting a top-of-the-line system, only to lose all your data.  And get
a UPS for those power fluctuations.

I would suggest a PC with at least a dual-core processor and 3 or 4 GB
of RAM.  Even a lowly Intel Core-I3 can meet those requirements.  Or
look around for an older quad-core Intel Q6600 system on the cheap,
that's what I'm using in the shack now, and it's plenty fast, much
faster than the 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 it replaced.  An Intel Core 2 Duo
(E6600) would be fine also.

Avoid the "green" hard drives, I was never happy with the performance
of the WD "green" drive.  Get a 7200 RPM, WD Caviar Black if you can
affford it (the Dell above had a 750 GB one).

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us