[WriteLog] How often during a typical contest weekend do youhave to restart WriteLog?

Georgens, Tom Tom.Georgens at netapp.com
Sun Jul 17 17:30:34 PDT 2011

Wayne

It has been years since I have had a problem with Writelog during a
contest.  I generally operate with two networked PC's running Writelog.
The main PC does the logging, rig control, and talks to the W5XD keyer
for SO2R.  The other PC has a copy of the log, records the audio, and
displays multipliers.  Networking has been nearly effortless and very
resilient since the TCP/IP option became available.

When I was running Win98, Writelog would almost never last an entire
contest without needing a reboot.  Once I moved to Win2K, and later to
WinXP, it has been flawless.  My suspicion always was that networking
was the source of the disruptions.

Hopefully that helps.  For completeness, while you asked about
networking, there is a bunch of other functionality that I never use
(packet, Band maps, digital modes, morse decoding, PC CW, etc.) that may
have issues that I have never seen.  I also have never used Win7 or
Vista.

There are a few features I wish Writelog had, but reliability has ceased
to be a concern for me.  I tell people that I have not lost a single QSO
due to Writelog for at least 5 years.

73, Tom W2SC 8P5A