[WriteLog] WAE QTC's

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 14 16:52:47 PST 2011

I haven't read all the posts on the WAE & QTC thing yet, but did want to reply to this one from Jerry since something has come to
mind.

I don't know how Wayne sets up the SEND part of the QTC in RTTY mode, but it would "seem" to be easy to end the message just like
the normal RTTY messages in that a %E could be appended to the end of the QTC when resending.  This way, it would act like a normal
RTTY message.  If you send a message with %E on the end and send another message before the first message ends, it is appended the
second message to the first message.  In other words...

F5 = %RAA5AU AA5AU %E
F7 = AA5AU %E

If you hit F5, then F7, you get "AA5AU AA5AU AA5AU " with no interuption.  This occurs when using the MMTTY plug-in.  If you use an
external TNC like HAL-DXP38 or PK232, I believe the transmitter will drop immediately after seeing the first %E.  Most people are
using the MMTTY plug, but I only mention this to avoid confusion (or did I confuse the matter worse?).

So if Wayne could put a space and/or CR at the end of a sent QTC, then %E, this way you could click on a QTC twice (not
double-click) and resend that QTC twice which is the norm when asked for a repeat of a particular QTC in a group.

I have email to Wayne, maybe we can work this out before next year.

OK, on sending a request for a repeat, being a fast typist, asked for repeats using ALT-K and typing live at the keyboard because I
didn't know how to ask for a repeat otherwise.  So I would simply type "AGN NR 4 4 4 4 ", etc, to ask for a repeat.

I think WL has a great setup for WAE RTTY, but it needs to be fixed to work correctly and be refined.

Unfortunately I doubt anything can be done about sending/receiving QTCs when SO2R.  Wow, that's a challenge.  This is what I did.
When SO2R and I wanted to exchange QTCs with someone on the run radio, if their signal was strong enough, I asked them to send to me
instead of me sending to them.  This way, I could work other stations on the S&P radio while receiving QTCs on the run radio.
Otherwise, if I had to send QTCs on the run radio, I used the S&P radio to map stations on the bandmap to work later.

One two occasions, I had to receive QTCs on both radios at the same time.  I have to tell you that is really brain wracking!!! hi

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com