[WriteLog] Lost log file -- Advice?

Jim Preston jpreston1 at cox.net
Tue Sep 6 12:25:36 PDT 2011

Scott,

This won't help with the .ini file situation, but it might help avoid
similar situations in the future. Use a UPS, probably a different one
for each computer. Then the computer will still be powered up in case of
a power failure. This will give you time to save the file and shut down
the computer until the power comes back.

Incidentally, I have the program save the log with every contact. I
don't notice any slow-down. Of course, my logs are usually rather small :-).

73,

Jim N6VH

On 9/6/2011 8:45 AM, (K7ZO) Scott Tuthill wrote:
> In last weekend's All  Asia SSB contest I came as close to totally losing a
> log file as I ever have in 12+ years of using WriteLog. NK7U and I were
> doing a casual multi-op with a network of 4 PC's running Version 10.79 under
> Windows XP. Friday evening the station suffered a momentary power loss that
> caused all the PC's to shut down. When we rebooted them, on three of the
> four PC's, the log file had no QSO's and was thus in the state the last time
> I manually saved it before the contest started, there was no journal file of
> QSO's to recover, etc. Luckily, on one of the PC's the log file was intact
> and we were able to recover and continue -- but this was a pretty scary
> experience and I have never had anything like it before.

snip.....