[WriteLog] PTT to CW delay apply to FSK?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Jan 21 14:30:47 PST 2012

Don,

That's to be expected as most radios begin producing RF as soon as PTT
is engaged in FSK mode - or with minimal internal delay.  While it may
not be an issue when operating with no amplifier or using an amplifier
with fast relays, many of the new transceivers can be producing power
before the relays on older, slower amplifiers (TL-922, L4B/L7, SB-220,
etc.) have had time to fully switch.

This is one benefit of an interface like the microHAM microKEYER II or
DigiKeyer II as they can activate the amplifier PTT immediately and
delay the transceiver PTT a few milliseconds to permit the amplifier
T/R relays to settle before getting hit by power.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV