[WriteLog] Bugs 11:07

W. Wright, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Tue Nov 20 11:20:02 EST 2012

Hal,
I set up a 3-machine network here using 11.07D and am not duplicating any of
your reports. I have a mix of XP and Win7 machines for this test. The only
configuration choice I can think of that maybe you are doing differently
than me is that I am entering the network names of the various machines
using their numeric forms. To spell out how to do this in excruciating
detail:

1. On each machine, install WL. For the most part, all version 11's can talk
to each other, but to remove that as an issue, install 11.07 on each.

2. On each machine, figure out its ethernet board's IP address. To do this,
go to the Windows Start menu, click the RUN button, type in CMD and then
<ENTER>. This will bring up a command window. (This works on all Windows
versions Win2K through Win7. Not sure about Win8).

3. In the command window, type in the command "ipconfig". It will respond by
printout out a bunch of stuff. Hidden in there, is the magic number you need
to use to refer to that machine in WL's networking. This is the title you
are looking for:
"Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:"
Your number probably won't be "3". If you have multiple "Local Area
Connections", it likely means you have multiple Ethernet adapters. You have
to figure out which one you have used to connect to the router that has all
your other WL machines.
Under the appropriate "Local Area" title, you will find something that looks
like this:
        IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
or else
Those 4 numbers separated by 3 dots are how you must refer to the machine
that printed those numbers. It is possible to configure a Windows machine to
put multiple IP addresses on a single ethernet adapater. In that case,
you'll have multiple lines above. That makes WL configuration harder. But if
you have enough Windows savy to configure multiple IP addresses on a port,
you don't need me to tell you how to figure out what they are.

My own machine has several networking "tunnel" devices, and other virtual
ethernet ports. Unless you are running virtual machines or VPN, its just
"Local Area" you need, and "IP Adress" under that.

4. There are two places in WL in the scenario you describe where you must
type in those numbers:
A) Main WL window, menu Tools/Link To Ntwork
B) in the Packet Window, its File Menu/ Local Network choice. In this one,
you must use the address of the (one-and-only) machine that did NOT do Local
Network, but instead did File/Telnet.

Wayne