[WriteLog] WriteLog Digest, Vol 124, Issue 1 (Frustration with XMMT)

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 1 16:45:14 EDT 2013

I can mirror Ed's comments. XMMT.ocx support for MMTTY and 2Tone is a major improvement to WriteLog. The biggest advantage is that 2Tone can be employed in the main Rttyrite window and users can transmit FSK using either Hardware or Software generated FSK. No other program can do this at this time because 2Tone does not support direct FSK.

I have over a hundred hours of testing 2Tone vs. MMTTY. 2Tone is the superior decoder when it comes to weak signals, rapid deep fading and selective fading. Selective fading is where either the Mark or Space tone is suppressed. What this means is that 2Tone will copy RTTY when only one of the two tones is present. That's pretty amazing in itself and something MMTTY cannot do.

Unfortunately, as Ed mentioned, there is no way to control NET when using AFSK. NET is always on. This makes 2Tone basically unusable in the main Rttyrite window when running AFSK. I tried it and it's not anything nice. However, MMTTY can still be run in the main Rttyrite window and 2Tone can be used in a cloned window when running AFSK.

I think the fact that AFC is always on is not an issue at all. The tuning indicator for 2Tone is such that having AFC on all the time is good thing. You don't have to worry about turning AFC on or off depending on whether you are running or S&P. The 2Tone tuning indicator is very similar to that used with Rttyrite's native decoder and I actually prefer it over the MMTTY FFT and XY scope tuning indicators.

I think the best case scenario for all users is to run both 2Tone and MMTTY at the same time (one in the main Rttyrite window and the other in at least one clone receive-only window). The diversity is even greater when you throw in the fact that you can also employ hardware decoders such as the HAL DXP-38 and other units. Having all these options with multiple receive windows makes for better decoding. I can tell you that the number of repeats required is considerably less when using 2Tone in multiple cloned windows.

I am hammering out some web pages to deal with some of the issues that have come up that were not seen during beta testing. I believe this will all work out. Stay patient and I believe you will be happy with the end results.

73, Don AA5AU