[WriteLog] Upgrade - What a pickle!!

Ed Muns w0yk at msn.com
Sun Apr 7 17:48:06 EDT 2013

Mark, G0MGX, wrote:
> Today I've purchased the full version and downloaded and
> installed 11.10G.
>

> All was OK, until I came to configure the XMMT plugin - I
> found I had to un-install the MMTTY plug-in before ANY option
> on the TU Type menu worked.
> With the MMTTY plug-in installed the software hung (not
> crashed - almost as if a window had opened out of view).

That's right.  Known bug with MMTTY Plug-in and XMMT coexistence in WriteLog
11.10G.  Work-around is to remove the MMTTY Plug-in.

> So I now have MMTTY configured using the XMMT plug-in with RX
> working FB. My problem is that I cannot get the PTT line to work.>
>
> My setup is a simple transistor switch on both the RTS and
> TxD lines for PTT and FSK respectively; this is using a true
> com port on the PC (no usb to serial adaptor) which happens
> to be COM3.>
>
> I have the COM3 port selected in the Rttyrite window Port
> menu and also Hardware generated FSK selected. If I edit the
> MMTTY setup screen and the TX tab and select the same COM
> port COM3 as the PTT and FSK port then I get a "Cannot Open
> COM3" message - memory seems to let me remember that this
> option wasn't available in the plug-in so is perhaps
> something new in the XMMT interface.

You can only set the COM port in either the Rttyrite Port menu or the MMTTY
Options/Setup/TX window.  Trying to set a COM port in both will elicit the
error message above.

Setting the COM port in the Rttyrite Port menu uses WriteLog's WinRtty
encoder.  By default, WinRtty uses "Hardware generated FSK" and that will be
checked at the bottom of the Rttyrite Port menu.  You can choose "Software
generated FSK" instead, especially if hardware FSK doesn't work well for
you.

Setting the Rttyrite Port menu to "None" and then setting the COM port in
the MMTTY Options/Setup/TX window will use MMTTY's FSK facility instead of
WriteLog's WinRtty FSK.

Ed W0YK