[WriteLog] What does this Error Message mean?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Dec 25 23:16:53 EST 2013

> I sometimes see this error message from Vista too, even though I've
> setup the correct microHAM CODECS in the WL Sound Board window. When
> I go to recheck my settings the Sound Board window choices are
> completely blank! I know I didn't remove them, so the culprit must be
> Vista.

No, Windows does not "remove" the settings.  If the sound devices are
not in the same order as when WriteLog last ran (which can happen if
you disconnect a sound device, or plug in a new one, or connect a USB
device to a different port) WriteLog will not be able to open the
device it was previously configured to use.  When that happens WriteLog
will clear the sound card settings in the ini file and you will see
blank boxes in the WL Sound board mixer level control window.

While I'm constantly changing audio devices as I test and document
things, I make it a habit to always run the "Sound board mixer level
control" application before starting WriteLog to confirm the sound card
selections.  Note - connecting a sound device to a different USB port
will cause Windows to reinstall the sound card as a different device
and will often cause the "new" device to become the system default
sound card and scramble the device order.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV