[WriteLog] Need advice on Writelog installation conventions on Windows 7

Rick Tavan N6XI rtavan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 14:20:56 EDT 2013

On Win 7 you absolutely can not store writelog.ini in c:\windows. All
writes from non-admin users are forbidden and even reads get redirected to
c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows. I built a shortcut
to that ridiculous path name and put it on my desktop. I can edit
writelog.ini there easily and yes, changes persist. That's also where
wl.exe stores writelog.ini when it exits, of course. I can live with this.
It's having to switch back and forth between user and admin IDs and having
to move around the results of Convert CTY that aggravates me. Some of this
is Windows 7 silliness and I believe some is inconsistent or inadequate
path name management in writelog functions and utilities.

/Rick

--
Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA