[WriteLog] SO2R audio switching option from keyboard ??

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Sat Jul 6 13:50:58 EDT 2013

I didn't make my goal clear.  What I want, but can't get, is to have
independent RX audio switching from the keyboard.  By independent, I mean
no RX audio switching just because TX focus changes.

The microHAM box has front panel buttons that do this nicely. I simply want
those buttons moved to the keyboard so I don't have to keep reaching up to
push a button.  As a perpetual SO2R novice, I would do that a lot (switch
RX focus) even though TX focus is not switching. However, with the manual
method, I more often than not abandon SO2R because pushing the buttons is
not quick/easy.

What happens in WL:
1)  TX monitor is muted regardless of RX or TX focus. Thus, I can't send by
hand key (CW) without QLF problems.
     I can't hear either radio when transmitting.  Both earphones are
blanked.
     This only happens in AUTO (microHAM) mode when WL has control of the
RX audio switching.

2)  If TX focus is on R1, I cannot get both ears on R1 regardless of what
headphone function is active in WL.
     There are too many times I simply want to concentrate on R1 and not
have R2 in one ear. So, a quick and easy keystroke to focus RX independent
of TX focus is the desire. Otherwise, split headphones is the normal...
regardless of TX focus.

I understand the Setup/Keyboard shortcuts thing. That works fine, and is
greatly appreciated. However, none of the headphone switching options seem
to do what I want.

It may be that part (or all) of this problem is within the microHAM
software.  I've tried some variations of that setup, but have not found
anything that works the way I'd like.  The number of combinations of WL
choices and microHAM selections seems infinite.  That said, the description
of how WL switches audio is not what I'm after.  What I'd like to see are
selections of:
headphones split   (and allow CW monitoring in the TX focus radio while
transmitting.)
headphones on R1  (regardless of TX focus)
headphones on R2  (regardless of TX focus)

That would make life so simple...

BTW, I'm a little behind the curve with WL 11.08B but don't think the
latest is any different in this aspect.

73, Alan  AD6E