[WriteLog] WriteLog 7th Area QSO Party

(K7ZO) Scott Tuthill k7zo at cableone.net
Sun May 5 12:31:03 EDT 2013

Mike and Gary -- in my experience this has been a problem with the 7th Area
QSO party module since it was first created. As the log size builds it can
drag down the performance of typical older PC's used for logging. It
probably has to do with the complexity of the module and its interaction
with the WriteLog core. Having never written a module I can't claim to know
for sure -- I am glad though a 7QP module exists for Writelog. (Even though
there is not Digital Mode support and it does not score quite right. But it
is close enough.)

One thing you can try, which we found worked at NK7U, is to turn off the
automatic scoring and duping. I have not tried this with V11 releases but it
used to really help with V10 releases. (We didn't run a major 7QP operation
at NK7U this year so I don't have any data.) Look in the Contest drop down
for "Set for Automatic Rescoring...."

If you get a chance try it out let me know know what you find.

Scott/K7ZO

Mike,

I was just dinking around in the 7th Area QSO Party with my non-contest
general logger.  I have never used the WL module for this contest so when I
saw your email I started up WL, started the module and quickly configured
some of the macro memories and worked a few stations.  At first I didn't
notice anything out of sorts, but as I played with it a bit longer I began
notice some delays on send when I press an F key.  I didn't really notice a
delay when using space to move to the next field, but I do notice a delay
when logging the QSO with SHIFT+ENTER.  I was also trying to make a few QSOs
in the ARI DX Contest, but didn't notice any such problems when running that
module.  I am also running Vista.

73,
Gary AL9A