[WriteLog] CW PTT Delay Microham MKII Keyer

K6UFO Mark Aaker k6ufo at arrl.net
Mon Nov 25 15:11:15 EST 2013

I want PTT to hold during F-key messages, but quickly return to receive
without any "hang time" so I can hear the prompt response. Here's what
I found works. I'm using Writelog to a Microham micro2r to a Kenwood TS-590s.

First I get Full Break-in keying working across all three.
The radio is set to Full Break-in.
The microham router, on the PTT&ACC tab, uncheck both:
  Use Winkey PTT and
  Generate PTT output.
In Writelog, Setup Ports...,
Port Setup tab: Comm PPT is NO for all radios.
CW PTT tab, PTT Control is None(e.g. QSK).
Now Full Break-in keying works during F-key messages.
If you don't have Full Break-in, you still have "hang delay" somewhere.

Now I can change the settings on one at a time to see the effect, and see
if its what I want. What works for me is:

Leave radio on Full Break-in.

In microham router, check Generate PTT output.
The minimum delay settings: PTT tail "1.00 wordspace, 0 ms", will only apply
if I ALSO check "Use Winkey PTT."

In Writelog, PTT Control to "On LPT pin 16/COMM RTS".
Now I have PTT held during F-key messages, and it drops quickly at end when
Writelog releases PTT. I can switch back to Full Break-in either in Writelog
(PTT Control is None), or in microham router (un-check Generate PTT output).

Paddle will be Full-break-in unless I ALSO check "Use Winkey PTT."
If I need longer delays on paddle or at end of messages, I can also check
Use Winkey PTT and increase the PTT tail to "1.00 wordspace, 300 ms". I rarely
use the paddle, so I usually do not check "Use Winkey PTT."

K6UFO Mark