[WriteLog] CW direct keying

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Sun Jul 6 13:30:36 EDT 2014

>my Winkey compatible interface has failed, luckily
>I have a spare directkeying interface which is just an
> opto-isolater type. It works fine but everynow and then
>it will just go crazy and it sounds like rig is being
>keyed very fast with rough choppy CW.

This is a tough one. The reason WinKey exists is exactly the situation
you're in. Its not COM port settings that are your problem. Your problem is
tasks that Windows thinks are higher priority than WriteLog and its CW
timers. It might be possible to track them down, but its not easy. I would
start with virus checkers--turn them all off. (Why? they tend to install
themselves as being higher priority than anything else on the machine.)

I would at least have a look at the Processes tab of the Windows Task
Manager (right click in your Start Menu bar, and choose Task manager) and
sort by "CPU". See if something is running that you recognize and see if you
an figure out how to turn it off.

You might even try sorting that same panel by Image Name, find WriteL32.exe,
right click on it, and raise its priority. I have never tried that. But I
don't think it can hurt anything.

Wayne, W5XD