[WriteLog] USB Soundcard recommendation and setup

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jan 29 02:09:16 EST 2015

On Wed,1/28/2015 3:06 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> These two sound cards are reported to work properly with Windows 7,
> 8 and 8.1 and provide the necessary mic/line switching:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829126101

On the recommendation of a top RTTY contester, I bought one of these. It
is poorly built.

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829128010

 From the photo, it seems likely that the Startech unit has a Pin One
Problem. Note that the connectors all protrude through holes in the
chassis.

Here's an applications note I wrote on USB interfaces. The Tascam US100
is my primary sound card. I use the Numark on a second laptop for the
second radio with SO2R RTTY.  The Tascam is a better choice because it
has good level indication on the inputs.

http://k9yc.com/USB_Interfaces.pdf

Nothing negative about NewEgg, but these are much better products.

73, Jim K9YC