[WriteLog] I hereby claim to be the world record holder for...

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Mon Dec 3 12:38:43 EST 2018

...the most QSOs while using WriteLog Remote Control for a weekend.

I claim 236 QSOs during ARRL 160m this past weekend. The report
breakdown says I made QSOs during 18 different clock hours. For me, that
is a serious effort, but others would call it casual.

99% (my estimate) of WriteLog users are more skilled at using it than
me. But for this new feature I claim the record until one of you takes
it from me.

The setup was my home station in Texas remotely operated from north
Idaho. The WriteLog setup in Texas is standard issue: a pair of rigs
under WriteLog Setup/Ports and audio routed using DVK: Windows Sound
Board and the WriteLog Sound Board Mixer. The CW generated by a W5XD
keyer. As advertised, the WriteLog configuration at the home station
specific to remote control is only to add port forwarding in my cable
router, use a dynamic DNS (to make my home IP number available to the
control site: www.noip.com) and add a remote password and security
certificate.

My control site, though, had a few items I am working on, but have not
yet published, but will:

a) I used a commercially available musician's USB adapter for receive
audio (and would have for SSB TX, but this was a CW contest)
http://my.roland.com/products/rubix22/

b) A homebrew USB device I am calling the RC-1101 that has a 16-key
keypad and 4 knobs to ease controlling the remote radio. It has a big
knob for tuning, a cell-phone sized LCD display for rig status (S-meter,
power out, TX/RX VFO, etc) 3 smaller knobs for software-settable
functions, and a 16-key software-programmable keypad. I plan to make an
open source publication of its entire design. I think its stable enough
for that "real soon now." Open source means that if you want one, you
have to build it yourself, but there will be enough information to do
so. Its function is to take it with you to the control site. WriteLog at
the control site makes it easier to control the remote rig because it
provides a display, knobs and switches. (Yes, WriteLog Remote Control
does support the K3/0 IF you also have a K3 at the remote site. But the
RC-1101 is programmable. WriteLog's rig drivers all work with it, but
RC-1101 specific support in the driver makes a big difference, like
adding an s-meter, IF filter width control, etc. 12.35 has such support
for the K3 and K2.)

There is no special software nor router configuration at the control
site. I just used WriteLog's "Control Site" icon to start it. My
operating position in Idaho is a PC with WriteLog, the Rubix22 audio box
(with a front panel AF gain knob!) and the RC-1101 radio front panel.

Back at my home station I had, external to WriteLog, a homebrew USB
device to route 12VDC control signals to the relays that switch my 160m
antenna tuner (MFJ-998RT) and also for my 4-direction beverages.

The beverages are two KD9SV beverage kits, one oriented NE/SW and the
other NW/SE. That makes 4x70ohm coax feeds into a homebrew 4-to-2 relay
box that switches RF from the 4 feedlines into the RX antenna input on
one of my two rigs. The relays in the box are 12VDC relays.

There exist commercially available USB relay control boards, but I
couldn't make myself pay $500 for this function. I plan to open-source
the design of this 12V control box. I am calling this device the ASW12V.
(Antenna switch for 12V) The functionality provided is that, when
operating from home, the ASW12V passes through the control signals from
rotary switches at the operating position. When a control site takes
over, there are USB commands to override what the operating position
switches might indicate. For the 160m contest, I could force the remote
tuner to retune (by giving it a power cycle) and could switch two of the
4 beverages into either of my rigs.

How did it go?
I arrived in Idaho a few days before the contest. My XYL was home at the
Texas station and, full disclosure, I could not have operated the
contest without her help. (I don't think that makes me ASSISTED though?)
She had to turn radios on and off and disconnect antennas when a
powerful thunderstorm squall line came through during the first night.
Then she had to turn things back on Saturday after the storm had passed.

I had planned a sort-of SO2R setup using my K3 as the primary rig and my
Flex-6500 as a listen-only radio. Being a single band contest and
without the technical savvy to listen while transmitting on the same
band, my plan was to have two different beverages in my ears while
listening to answers to CQs. But murphy intervened and I had to switch
to plan B.

I had left the rigs and WriteLog PC at the Texas station turned on when
I departed, but by the time I got to Idaho, something had changed
regarding the K3. It was in an "ERR KEY" state. I failed to diagnose it
by the time of the contest start, so I switched to using the Flex as the
only rig for the weekend. My only remotable amp was wired to the K3, so
I ran 100W instead my planned KW. Diagnosing the K3 will have to wait
until I return to Texas.

The primary point of this post is to report: WriteLog Remote Control
works, at least for a casual effort. I could tune the bands, answer CQs
and call CQ.

My secondary point is to mention that I plan to publish designs for two
build-it-yourself hardware items that make remote control easier: the
RC-1101, and the ASW12V.

And a good time was had by all. Or at least I did.I have always enjoyed
operating the 160m contest and this time travel did not prevent me from
doing so.

Wayne, W5XD