[WriteLog] CW Red Box question - Any help?

support at writelog.com support at writelog.com
Sat Mar 24 10:46:50 EDT 2018

WriteLog will do what you want. You just don't have the setup right yet.

>     Hi,
>
> the question is the following:
>
> ** with WL version 11 and earlier **
> - If I press the F key the Red Box appears and I can correct/complete the call
> on the fly
> - If I press Enter (having set Enter=send Exchange/QRZ) the RED BOX APPERAS AND
> I CAN COMPLETE THE CALL ON THE FLY BEFORE the cursor moves to the next field
>
> ** with WL version 12 **
>
> - If I press the F key the Red Box appears and I can correct/complete the call
> on the fly
> - If I press Enter (having set Enter=send Exchange/QRZ) the cursor moves to the
> next field and the call is immediately sent (from the same F key), the RED BOX
> DOES NOT APPEAR AND THEREFORE IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CORRECT/COMPLETE THE CALL
> ON THE FLY.
I don't recall V11 and V12 differing on this count. But my comments
below are for V12. We don't support V11 much anymore.
> Perhaps I have lost some specific row in the .INI file but cannot find out what.
Yes, I am pretty sure you HAVE missed something in the INI file as I
tried to point out in my previous response. Let me try again. Here is
the entry you are looking for:
[Configuration]
|MoveNextOnEnter=0
|

> The red box keeps on in a pre-defined time written  in ini file. I
> have mine in 850ms.

I beg to differ. There is no INI entry that sets the time available for
the red box. The time is determined by WriteLog's interaction with
whatever CW sending device you have set up. In general, the red box
stays up for as long as WriteLog thinks it still has an opportunity to
change what is being sent. That essentially comes down to the point in
time that the CW sending device says it has no CW characters buffered to
transmit, which usually is the time at which it starts sending the final
character in the CALL that was present when you pressed the F-key. (Note
that, should you backspace in the CALL field, WL will try to send a
backspace to the keyer to remove the final character. But doing so
lessens the time the red box will eventually stay up.)