[WriteLog] ARRL 160m CW Module

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Fri Dec 11 13:09:42 EST 2020

I have not operated the ARRL 160m contest in a long long time. I just
tried Wayne's suggestion in my older version of Writelog.  Changing
SECT to "Field is required for entry in log" does still allow DX
stations to have no field entry.  This was not clear to me in Wayne's
initial post. US/VE will require a field entry to log the QSO after
this change is made.

John KK9A.

Wayne support wrote:

> I have never played much with Writelog's exchange fields except for
> eliminating unnecessary fields so I found Wayne's post on its other
> settings interesting. For the ARRL 160m contest you could set the
> field to require an entry and then create a section multiplier
> called DX so you have something to enter when you work DX. I assume
> that the majority of stations worked have actual sections so this
> would not add much typing over the contest. Then you would have to
> delete "DX" text from the cabrillo file. Perhaps just using an alias
> section mult "DX= " would create a cabrillo file not needing editing.
> John KK9A
>

> Randy Thompson K5ZD wrote:
>
> The 160 contest does not require an exchange for DX stations. WL
> won't let you enter anything that is not a recognized section name.
> So you end up leaving the exchange field blank for DX. I suspect
> this is the reason the 160 contest defaults this way. If you set it
> to required, you would have trouble logging DX stations.
> Randy K5ZD

My suggestion remains as I previously posted.

Anyone that follows my suggestion as written will get the results
requested by the original posting. There are lots of ifs/ands and buts
that can be considered, but I am quite sure that, of the postings quoted
above, only my own has actually been tested on a running version of
WriteLog. (I make this claim because I did the testing.)

Wayne