[WriteLog] WriteLog issues after Windows 10 2004 update

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 18 08:34:08 EDT 2020

I just completed a massive Windows 10 update this morning on both my Windows
10 Home and Windows 10 Pro machines and immediately had issues within
WriteLog but they were easily corrected.

When I tried to run WriteLog on the Home machine, I got a WriteLog Sound
Error "WriteLog Sound Initialization Error Audio thread exception: GetDevice
failed". After clicking OK a couple of times, WriteLog opened. The two
issues I noticed were that MMTTY had the wrong sound card selected in
settings and that the bandmap was showing only a gray window (this is a
known issue after a Windows 10 update). I closed WriteLog. I then ran the
WriteLog > Sound board mixer control program and it showed "Device missing"
for the sound board. I selected the appropriate sound board and when I
restarted WriteLog, all was well again except the bandmap. To fix the
bandmap, I closed WriteLog reinstalled the last WriteLog update I had.

On the Pro machine, I didn't have a Sound error (maybe because there is only
one sound card in this PC) but I did have the bandmap issue. Reinstalling
the latest update fixed that issue.

All is well.

This Windows 10 2004 update took a couple of hours to complete. I started it
last night, waiting an hour and it was not complete on either machine so
went to bed. This morning both machines were asking for a restart and after
a restart, it took another hour to complete.

I would not update Windows just before the NAQP RTTY contest today. You may
miss the start!

73, Don AA5AU