[WriteLog] Enhancement request - Name window

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sun Mar 14 13:34:19 EDT 2021

That is a good idea Randy. I do not think it should be used with every QSO
but it is nice on occasion, especially for people you frequently work. With
the speed of a contest it is easy to fumble over someone's name so having it
displayed makes it clear. The callbook not work, I have had a few people
call me "SOUTHEAST CONTESTERS" on RTTY when operating as W4AAA.

John KK9A

Randy Thompson k5zd wrote:

I am posting this to the reflector to see if there are others who would be
interested or if I am an outlier on this.

During a contest, I often have people call me by name.  It always feels good
to be recognized (we all like to hear our own name).  The problem is that I
am VERY BAD at remembering names.  I always feel guilty when someone calls
me by name, I know I should know theirs, and yet I can't remember it.

I know there is a "friends" file that can be used on RTTY to embed name in a
transmission.  What I would like to see is a similar concept for all modes.
I am suggesting there be a new window that displays the name of the station
in the log window.  The name would come from a separate file (much like SCP
data comes from an accessory file).  If the name file is simple, say with
just callsign and name (tab or comma delimited), it would be easy for people
to create their own name files or download one.

Interested in any comments or if there is another way to accomplish this
that already exists.

Randy K5ZD