[WriteLog] K9JY WriteLog Site Images overlapping Text

Scot Herrick scot at k9jy.com
Wed Apr 12 16:22:08 EDT 2023

All,

(I've been on this reflector too much...)

It's been accurately reported that some images are overlapping the text on pages on K9JY.com. I took a couple hours from the day job this morning trying to figure out what was happening. The cause is now apparent.

Web sites are supposed to be ‘responsive’, meaning the text and images expand and contract with expansion and contraction of the browser. This new theme does this differently than my old one…essentially, I created one section per page that contained both Text and Images.

When the browser size changes or you open your browser to a smaller size than mine, the text got smaller as it should, but the image sizes stayed the same, thus overlapping the text.

The solution to this is to redo the pages such that text and images are separated. When that is done, the images and text will both expand and contract as your browser expands and contracts. The images expand and contract based on an underlying grid on the page; it is not fluid, but a little jerky. Life in software world...

I’ve updated the SO2R page as a test to have separate sections for text and images and it looks good to me now. I've also done about five sections under The Initial Setup group. I'll work through the rest as I have time, but at pace.

In the meantime, if you're seeing images overlapping text, make your browser wider and it should help quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback and patience.

Cheers...Scot, K9JY