[WriteLog] Learning WL: INI Mysteries no longer as mysterious

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Sat Feb 25 14:27:08 EST 2023

Bob,  A couple of answers below

> That doesn't mean that I'll leave well enough alone, however! May I lean
> on the reflector for a few more questions?
>
> 1. Multiplier Window in WPX contests. It opens, but WL is unresponsive
> until the window is closed. Is this normal, or is there a setting?

This is a bug in the contest module (IMHO). I'm not sure how useful it is.
A needed PX shows up in the band map in an obvious color (or shade) ..
unless you've changed colors. So why bother with the mult window?

> 2. K3 or K4 DVR Message kill. Once a DVR message starts, it plays to
> completion: ESC won't stop it. How can this be fixed? Note that pressing
> the footswitch causes the rig itself to halt the message.

Correct. I've taken to using an unused F key to KILL the K4 DVR message by
sending PB0;
Once you get used to it, it's not bad. Footswitch also works.
Unfortunately, adding PB0; needs another ini line but similar to the PB1:
PB2;  etc. You can then remap that to any key you like. I haven't tried
remapping to ESC. That's not advisable in a multi-mode contest since ESC
needs to work normally in CW mode.

> 3. Are there setting that will prefill Log Submission Details,
> specifically Power, Xmtr, and Operator (single vs multi-op)?

Yes .. you need to get a previous log in ADI format or a prepared ADIF
file. I don't remember who keeps those prefill files off the top of my
head. Note that if you load a LARGE file, the search routines take a fair
amount of CPU cycles so your i3 computer may be a bit underpowered.
Tools / Preset Exchange from ADI file

> 4. May we enter comments to document our .ini files?
>
> 5. UTC display, with seconds?

> Finally, in a couple of the direct replies to my help request, some
> mentioned disabling the "C" and "Country" entry fields for each new
> contest. There is a setting for that:
>
> [Multipliers]
> ShowCountry=0
>
> does the trick.