[WriteLog] Learning WL: INI Mysteries no longer as mysterious

tomgeorgens15 at gmail.com tomgeorgens15 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:07:22 EST 2023

On the question of comments in .ini, it is not that simple.

It depends on how you plan to manage the ini file.   If all ini changes are
to be made in the ini file and subsequently imported, then you may be able
to add comments.  However, when you do a "Save Configuration"  inside WL it
will write information to an ini file.  Likewise, when you make keyboard
shortcuts.  However, this is not the ini file you are editing.  WL has a
separate ini file that it updates with changes made while Writelog is
running.  When this happens, WL is using a set of ini settings that is
different than the ini file you are editing.

What I do, is that I use the "edit" option.  In this case, WL will ask for a
file name.  I will then enter the name of the ini file that I control.  It
will then overwrite that file with the ini settings that WL is currently
using.  At this point the ini file is synched with WL.  Then I make the ini
changes I want.  When I save them, it will ask if I want to load this file
back into WL.  Now, WL has been updated and my file is consistent.

You are probably confused again.  As for the comments, when WL overwrites
the file, any comments will be lost.

I am a big WL fan.  Of course, every logger with a deep feature set has a
learning curve.  For your question about the k3 messages.  More generally
the question is about keystrokes that want to execute multiple steps.  In
this case, I use Auto Hotkey.  I have a large auto hotkey wrapper around WL
that implements stuff like this.   It also starts all my apps, enters any
setup config information and positions all the windows.

Now it can self spot.  The "progress" never ends

GL Tom  W2SC