[WWYC] DJ1YFK 20m SOSB QRP

Schenk-Kurz Schenk-Kurz@t-online.de
Mon, 29 May 2000 13:20:19 +0200

Hi WWYC'ers,

this is my result of WPX CW. I was only about 27 hours QRV, cuz I was on a party
on Friday night which was over at 0130 UTC, after that I had to regenerate me
some hours and started again at 0700 UTC. I operated until 0200 and wanted to
take a >>>SHORT<<< nap ... and woke up three hours later, that was not planned,
but on the other hand I was wide awake and relaxed after that. So I operated
until the and at 1900 UTC, in between I made some breaks to go home (500m away).
My QTH was at DJ6BN an OT nearby who has got a nice station located on a hill.
The takeoff to DX is splendid! (to NA/JA/OC free view until the horizont!). As
DJ6BN is just changing his antenna-system, only the TH7DXS was available, so I
decided only to work 20m SO QRP. With "DJ1YFK", I only make QRP! Maybe in CQWWDX
2000 I will be back and then with the full gear:  AL-811HX PA (750W, full legal
PWR in DL), TH7DXS and Lowband-Vertical, but then using "DF0RE". That should
bring a LOT of fun and ... maybe 2000+ QSO's!

Either the condx or the QTH/Ant was UFB! I worked over 10 new DXCC's like YI
(Iraq), YB (Indonesia), 4D/4F/DU (Philipines) and breaking through pileups was
really easy. Usually S&P was easier and more successful, but I even had a little
run of W's the second night. Holding my own frequency was mostly quite easy, but
of course sometimes a "big gun" once wanted my QRG ... but the cleverest gives
in. POWER IS NO SUBSTITUTE TO SKILL!

WWYC's worked were: 5P1ER (OZ1AA), HA3LN, WL7E (KL9A, very good ears! called him
with the backside of antenna!!), N6MJ, 9A1CMS, OH3RM, OH0/LY2CY (LY2TA(?))

The strategy to work only 20m was maybe a bit dumb, cuz on the second day it
became harder and harder to find enough new stations, I got boored, and it was
already too late to change the category (The other stations would have been too
much in advantage). So my rates were not splendid at all, and I made QRT after
27hrs.

Well, that's enough for today, hope you had a lot of fun, sleep well :-)

73 / 72 ! Fabian DJ1YFK (/QRP)  proud WWYC#10

                       CQ WORLD WIDE WPX CONTEST  2000

      CALL: DJ1YFK                   COUNTRY: Fed. Rep. of Germany
      MODE: CW                       CLASS: SO 20m QRP

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/QSO    PREFIXES

       20      608     1795     2.9        393

     Totals    608     1795     2.9        394   => 707,230

All reports sent 599 ###

Equipment Description:

RIG: FT-890/AT
ANT: TH7DXS, 25m up
PWR: max 5W output  (= maybe 3 Watt @ the Antenna !)
PC:  286er-Laptop, CT V6.62 (Shareware-Version :)

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/wwyc-faq.htm