[WWYC] ARRL RoundUP

Thomas - OZ1AA Thomas - OZ1AA" <oz1aa@qsl.net
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 20:08:02 +0100

The ARRL RTTY roundup will also be my first contest in this millennium (or
whatever it is..)

I'll be SOAB LP from the OZ7HVI station, and I plan to operate the full 24
hours allowed. Lets hope for good condx, and of course I'm looking forward
for many QSO's with all of you!

Vy 73 de OZ1AA, Thomas

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott Northcutt <snorthcutt@mindspring.com>
Cc: <wwyc@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 4:53 PM
Subject: Re: [WWYC] ARRL RoundUP

I'll be in the SOLP category from my cold basement shack in the Roundup.

I went to http://www.wf1b.com/ yesterday and pulled down the now FREE(!)
version 5.0 of the software.  I've never had much luck with using my
PK-232 with it but I am hoping to use it to log while I use MMTTY to
send and receive the RTTY.  If you've never used MMTTY, it's another
freebie and you can get it here:
http://www.geocities.com/mmtty_rtty/
It is written by a Japanese fellow and it works very well with a
soundcard.

If you'd prefer to run PSK-31 instead of RTTY, there are awards for that
within the Roundup as well.  Here are the rules:
http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rtty.html

If you've never tried the digital modes and you have even a modest
computer with a soundcard (all of my digital work is done on an old
Pentium 150 laptop and it works great!), make a new year's resolution to
try one - most of the software is free.  If you can invest a little time
soldering together the cabling ahead of time (you'll need 2 or 3 special
cables with some built-in isolation), these will allow you to work all
of the soundcard digital modes (PSK-31, MFSK-16, MT-63, RTTY, SSTV,
Hellschreiber, etc...).  Change modes by just closing one program and
starting up another one.  Easy as double-clicking.

I've really enjoyed my 6 months or so in running these modes.  I'm
looking forward to contesting and DXing in 2001 by letting my laptop do
all the work!  E-mail me if you have questions, need help, or want to
set up a digi-sked.  See you on the bands!

RYRYRYRYRY and -30 IMD :-)
73,
Scott
N4JN