[WWYC] ARRL RoundUP

Scott Northcutt snorthcutt@mindspring.com
Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:53:28 -0600

I'll be in the SOLP category from my cold basement shack in the Roundup.

I went to http://www.wf1b.com/ yesterday and pulled down the now FREE(!)
version 5.0 of the software.  I've never had much luck with using my
PK-232 with it but I am hoping to use it to log while I use MMTTY to
send and receive the RTTY.  If you've never used MMTTY, it's another
freebie and you can get it here:
http://www.geocities.com/mmtty_rtty/
It is written by a Japanese fellow and it works very well with a
soundcard.

If you'd prefer to run PSK-31 instead of RTTY, there are awards for that
within the Roundup as well.  Here are the rules:
http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rtty.html

If you've never tried the digital modes and you have even a modest
computer with a soundcard (all of my digital work is done on an old
Pentium 150 laptop and it works great!), make a new year's resolution to
try one - most of the software is free.  If you can invest a little time
soldering together the cabling ahead of time (you'll need 2 or 3 special
cables with some built-in isolation), these will allow you to work all
of the soundcard digital modes (PSK-31, MFSK-16, MT-63, RTTY, SSTV,
Hellschreiber, etc...).  Change modes by just closing one program and
starting up another one.  Easy as double-clicking.

I've really enjoyed my 6 months or so in running these modes.  I'm
looking forward to contesting and DXing in 2001 by letting my laptop do
all the work!  E-mail me if you have questions, need help, or want to
set up a digi-sked.  See you on the bands!

RYRYRYRYRY and -30 IMD :-)
73,
Scott
N4JN