[WWYC] WPX SSB WM5R (@ K5TR) SOSB10 HP

Kenneth E. Harker kharker@cs.utexas.edu
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:21:27 -0600

2001 CQWW WPX - SSB

Call: WM5R
Operator(s): WM5R
Station: K5TR
Class: SOSB10 HP Unassisted
Operating Time (hrs): 23

   10:   1549
-------------------------------
Total:   1549 x    643  =  2,149,549

Club: Central Texas DX & Contest Club (CTDXCC)

Comments:

Station:
--------
Kenwood TS-850SAT
Ameritron AL-1500
4-element Cushcraft 10M monobander @ 60'
TR Log
W9XT Contest Card
Heil Proset

     A couple weeks before the contest, George K5TR invited me to come
operate the WPX phone contest at his new station.  The operating room is
part of a new two-car garage that George and his wife began building a little
over a year ago, with the help of their family and friends.  While there is
still some finish work remaining, the operating room is mostly complete.  It
features its own small bathroom with a shower, a walk-in closet, wall-to-wall
carpeting, climate control, ceiling fan, lots of electrical outlets for both
110VAC and 220VAC, and is wired for ethernet and telephone.

     Now that he has a shack, George has recently begun raising towers, of
which there will initially be five, ranging from 30 feet to 120 feet high.
To test the station out, he put a four-element Cushcraft 10M monobander on
a 60' tower.  One objective of the weekend was to smoke out any potential
RFI problems in the house and new garage while operating high power.

     I had some previous commitments, so I was unable to operate the entire
contest.  I basically missed all of Friday night and had to stop operating
about five hours before the end of the contest on Sunday, so I was on for
just about 23 hours of operating time.  My favorite time in the contest
was Saturday night local, running mostly Japanese stations.  It was a very
good opening, and I've always enjoyed running JAs more than Europeans.  I
thought the Saturday morning local opening to Europe wasn't as good as it
was on Sunday morning local.

     I tried to exercise the limits of my foreign language abilities
when I thought it would be useful, and there were a few QSOs where using
Spanish numerals helped to complete the exchange.  There were two exceptions
to this, one was an Argentine station, obviously not participating in the
contest, who decided that I must speak Spanish and began to converse upon
something, at great length.  It took me a while to extricate myself from
that one.  Another time was when I was struggling to complete an exchange
with a very weak low power Spanish station, and some uppity east coaster
decided to inform me that his Spanish was much better than mine.  Anyway,
I'll probably try to brush up on both my Spanish and my Japanese before the
next one...

     Although not the point of the contest, I worked some interesting
DX.  An Botswana (EX) station called in (twice,) I worked multiple stations
in Kyrgystan (EX,) and stations in Djibouti (J28,) Svalbard (JW,) Jordan (JY,)
Egypt (SU,) Turkey (TA,) Central African Republic (TL,) and Kazakhstan (UP.)
One U.S. station informed me that his serial number was "Seven hundred twenty
dollars and fifty cents."

     It was a lot of fun, and even as simple as it sounds, this station is
a vast improvement over my usual "home" station, N5XU, the club station at
the University of Texas.  The location at K5TR is superb.  When George puts up
his stacks of monobanders, it will be even better.

2001 CQ WPX Phone - WM5R (@ K5TR)

  HOUR   10SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------   -----   -----
    0       0       0       0
    1       0       0       0
    2       0       0       0
    3       0       0       0
    4       0       0       0
    5       0       0       0
    6       0       0       0
    7       0       0       0
    8       0       0       0
    9       0       0       0
   10       0       0       0
   11       0       0       0
   12      12      12      12
   13      59      59      71
   14      76      76     147
   15      75      75     222
   16      76      76     298
   17      93      93     391
   18     112     112     503
   19      70      70     573
   20      38      38     611
   21      87      87     698
   22      90      90     788
   23     111     111     899

    0     100     100     999
    1      69      69    1068
    2      25      25    1093
    3       3       3    1096
    4       0       0    1096
    5       0       0    1096
    6       0       0    1096
    7       0       0    1096
    8       0       0    1096
    9       0       0    1096
   10       0       0    1096
   11       0       0    1096
   12      13      13    1109
   13      65      65    1174
   14      88      88    1262
   15      67      67    1329
   16      68      68    1397
   17      70      70    1467
   18      78      78    1545
   19       4       4    1549
   20       0       0    1549
   21       0       0    1549
   22       0       0    1549
   23       0       0    1549

(Keep in mind that the numbers below reflect two openings into Europe, but
only one into Japan/East Asia/Pacific.)

Continent List  2001 CQ WPX Phone - WM5R (@ K5TR)

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    30    17    12    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =      0     0     0     0     0   598     0     0     0    598
  VE calls    =      0     0     0     0     0    86     0     0     0     86
  N.A. calls  =      0     0     0     0     0    23     0     0     0     23
  S.A. calls  =      0     0     0     0     0    56     0     0     0     56
  Euro calls  =      0     0     0     0     0   476     0     0     0    476
  Afrc calls  =      0     0     0     0     0    11     0     0     0     11
  Asia calls  =      0     0     0     0     0    25     0     0     0     25
  JA calls    =      0     0     0     0     0   261     0     0     0    261
  Ocen calls  =      0     0     0     0     0    13     0     0     0     13

  Total calls =      0     0     0     0     0  1549     0     0     0   1549

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

FAQ on WWW:               http://lists.contesting.com/wwyc-faq.htm